USS Wilmington (CL-79)

USS Wilmington (CL-79)

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

USS Wilmington (CL-79)

USS Wilmington (CL-79) was laid down as a Cleveland class light cruiser, but was completed as an Independence class light carrier. She was laid down on 16 March 1942, but soon after this the decision was made to complete several of the Cleveland class cruisers as light carriers to fill a gap before the first of the Essex class carriers were expected to be ready. The Wilmington became the USS Cabot (CVL-28), and was launched as a carrier on 4 April 1943. The name Wilmington was reused on the later Cleveland class cruiser CL-111 but although this ship was laid down in 1941 it was never launched and was cancelled on 12 August 1945.

USS Wilmington (CL-79) - History

The USS Cabot was the 7th of 9 Independence Class Light Aircraft Carriers which were started from May 1, 1941 through October 26, 1942 at the New York Ship Building Yard in Camden New Jersey.

The keel of the light aircraft carrier USS Cabot (CVL-28) was laid down as the light cruiser Wilmington (CL-79) on March 16, 1942. On June 2, 1942 the under construction cruiser Wilmington was ordered to be converted into a light aircraft carrier by the addition of a hanger deck and flight deck above that.


Design Displacement: 14,200 tons
Full load Displacement: 15,100 tons
Overall Length: 622' 6"
Waterline Length: 600'
Beam (Extreme): 109' 2"
Beam Waterline: 71' 6"
Flight Deck: 572' x 73'
Catapult: 1 H 2-1 Hydraulic
Propulsion: 4 Babcock & Wilson 565 psi boilers,
4 shaft geared turbines,100,000 shp
Machinery: 4 - 600kw ships service generators
2 - 250kw diesel generators
Fuel Capacity: 2,632.2 tons
Aviation Gas: 122,243 gallons
Aviation Ordinance: 331.4 tons
Top Speed: 31.6 knots
Crew: 1,461
Armor: 3-5 inch belt
Armament: 2 quad, 8 dual 40 mm AA,
16 single 20 mm AA
Aircraft: 45 (maximum) 32 (nominal)

USS Cabot was launched on April 4, 1943 and commissioned on July 24, 1943. Her 1 month shake down cruse to Trinidad was undertaken September after which she left for Pear Harbor and joined Task Force 58 for action in the pacific.

USS Cabot carried Air Group 31 from the time of her shake down cruse until they were rotated out of active duty in October of 1944. Air Group 31 was replaced by Air Group 29 who served aboard her until July 11, 1945 when they were relieved by Air Group 32 who served for the last 6 weeks until the end of hostilities.

The famous Scripps-Howard war corespondent Ernie Pyle came on board the USS Cabot for a time. He wrote his famous "Iron Woman" story while he was aboard USS Cabot

USS Cabot was stuck by a Kamikaze on November 25, 1944. This caused the death of 62 of her crew but the ship was saved. She was repaired at the advance fleet anchorage of Ulithi and returned to duty on December 11, 1944. She was send to be overhauled in San Francisco in March 1945 and returned to the Pacific in late June 1945. USS Cabot stayed on station during September and October 1945 in the Yellow Sea supporting the occupation. Cabot was used to transport returning men from Guam to San Diego, arriving on November 9, 1945. USS Cabot then returned via the Panama Canal to the Philadelphia Naval Yard where she was docked along with 2 CVL aircraft carriers and other vessels.

USS Cabot received the Presidential Unit Citation and 9 gold battle stars for her service in World War II

USS Cabot was decommissioned to reserve status on February 11, 1946 at the Philadelphia Naval Yard.

Re-commissioned on October 27, 1948 she was modernized which included combining her existing 4 funnels into 2. Cabot served as a Naval Aviation Reserve Training carrier operating out of NAS Pensacola, then NAS Quonset Point, on training cruises to the Caribbean. She had one tour of duty in European and Mediterranean waters from January to March 1952 and served as an ASW (Anti Submarine Warfare) carrier

USS Cabot was decommissioned to reserve status once again on January 21, 1955

While still in reserve status USS Cabot was re-designated as an aircraft transport carrier (AVT-3) on May 15, 1959.

USS Cabot was reactivated, overhauled and modernized at the Philadelphia Naval Yard from 1965 - 1967 in preparation for loan to Spain.

USS Cabot was re-commissioned as the Spanish Naval Ship SNS Dedalo (AO-1) on August 30, 1967.

USS Cabot was stricken from the U.S. Naval records on August 1, 1972 and sold to Spain on December 5, 1972.

USS Cabot served the Spanish Navy as SNS Dedalo from 1967 through 1989 first as a helicopter carrier and later as a Harrier jump jet carrier.

The Government of Spain decommissioned and gave USS Cabot / SNS Dedalo to the Cabot/Dedalo foundation on August 5, 1989 in New Orleans Louisiana. At that time the USS Cabot was in just about the same condition as she was when she served the US Navy in 1944-1945, retaining all of her war time machinery and fittings, including the original WW II AA guns and interior.

The Cabot/Dedalo foundation tried, unsuccessfully, to find a permanent home for the ship but while awaiting a permanent location the USS Cabot sat at an unused wharf in New Orleans from 1989 until she was ordered removed by the Coast Guard as a hazard to navigation on September 10, 1997.

On October 13, 1997 the USS Cabot was dead towed from her berth in the Mississippi River to Port Isabel Texas. She stayed moored in Port Isabel Texas from October 1997 until August 8, 1998 when she was once again dead towed to Brownsville Texas for breaking.

A US Court ordered the sale of the USS Cabot to clear the debts that had amassed over the years and on September 10, 1999 USS Cabot was sold to the Sable Marine salvage company for the high bid of $185,000.00

Breaking of the USS Cabot started in October 2000 and the last of the Cabot was cut up in March 2003

In Wilmington, the Black Community Was Thriving

In the years leading up to 1898, Wilmington stood as the most progressive city in the American South. A bustling, integrated port, the town, historians say, “was what the new South could have become after the Civil War.”

By 1896, nearly 126,000 Black men in Wilmington were registered voters. The city’s flourishing Black middle class boasted some 65 doctors, lawyers and educators, scores of barbers and restaurant owners, public health workers, members of the police force and the fire department. And just three decades after Emancipation, Black Republicans held multiple positions of power, serving as city councilmen, magistrates and other elected officials.

The integration resulted from Fusion politics, a political phenomenon in North Carolina that joined the Populist Party (comprised mostly of poor, white farmers) and the Republican Party (the political affiliation of choice for freed Black Americans) into one entity. They aligned against the Democrats, a party composed of wealthy white segregationists who white populists believed cared more for the interests of banks, railroads and affluent constituents than of the common man.

Together, the Populists and Republicans seized the political majority, sweeping the state in 1894, electing Republicans to local state and federal seats and ousting Democrats from political power.

Battleship North Carolina

The Battleship NORTH CAROLINA is an unmistakable site across from downtown Wilmington. Moored in quiet dignity and majesty along the Cape Fear River, this historic World War II landmark is a must-see for Cape Fear vacationers.

With construction commencing in 1937 and completed by 1940, the battleship was instrumental in World War II and was involved in every major Pacific offensive. As the "newest" member of the fleet of battleships that were ingrained in the war, the USS North Carolina, with its wealth of technological advances and modern design, received a lot of attention during and after the war, earning the still-used nickname of "Showboat." Outfitted with nine 16-inch/45 caliber guns in three turrets, and twenty 5-inch/38 caliber guns in ten twin mounts, the battleship was a formidable opponent that required 144 officers and 2,195 military members to keep her afloat and in service.

Throughout her many battles during World War II, the ship earned 15 battle stars and lost only 10 men in action, (with 67 men wounded), which was a tremendous feat in the Pacific region.

After the war, the USS North Carolina settled into a less active life, serving as a training vessel in 1945 and 1946. In 1947, the ship was officially decommissioned and sent to the Inactive Reserve Fleet in New Jersey, where she sat for the next 14 years. In 1958, it was announced that the ship was soon to be scrapped altogether, when representatives, organizations and citizens from North Carolina stepped in to save their battleship namesake. The enthusiastic "Savor Our Ship" campaign was successful, and in 1961, the ship made its way to its current home as the Showboat of Downtown Wilmington. Just a few months later in April 1962, the ship was dedicated as a North Carolina memorial to its WWII veterans and the 10,000 state residents who died during the war.

Today, the USS North Carolina is open every day of the year (including holidays) to curious tourists and residents alike who want to take an in-depth look at World War II's most recognizable battleship. Patrons are welcome to take a self-guided tour throughout the ship from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily (opening at noon Christmas Day) and until 8 p.m. from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. Areas and points of interest are well-marked, and visitors should plan to reserve a good two hours to explore the ship in its entirety, from the top-level decks to the galleys well below sea level. Ticket prices range from $6 for children to $14 for adults, with special discounts given to active or retired military members and seniors.

The battleship also hosts holiday events and special programs highlighting features of the ship, such as &ldquoPower Plant,&rdquo Firepower!&rdquo and &ldquoShowboat &ndash Systems & Design.&rdquo &ldquoHidden Battleship&rdquo tours of unrestored sections and areas of the battleship bring visitors to the depths of the battleship to unearth the engineer's office, torpedo area, engine rooms, fire control tower at the top of the ship, and much more.

The ship is also open to school groups (with educational programs available for students of all levels), for birthday party rentals and for other events that attending guests will never forget.

The Battleship NORTH CAROLINA is worthy of exploration any day of the week. Bring a sense of adventure, a love of history, and an appreciation of fantastic waterfront views of the city of Wilmington, and see why this "Showboat" is still one of coastal North Carolina's most beloved historical landmarks.

Fort Fisher Historic Site

Located just south of Wilmington, the Fort Fisher Historic Site was constructed in the mid-1800s by the Confederacy to protect valuable Wilmington from Union forces. The earthen fort held for the majority of the war, and was finally lost to Union Troops in January of 1865. The remains of the fort are open for visitors, and the site also serves as the venue for occasional Civil War reenactments.

History is alive and well in Wilmington, and visitors will notice the town&rsquos impressive roots as soon as they start an exploration of the historic downtown area, or plot a trip to any of the many museums and sites that dot the Cape Fear landscape.

Learn all about how Wilmington played a pivotal role through North Carolina&rsquos history, and soak up the fascinating stories of the Port City on your next vacation for an in-depth and unforgettable discovery of this instrumental coastal destination.

History [ edit | edit source ]

Several members of the Resistance hierarchy are located on board the USS Wilmington. Its staff consisted of a wide assortment of officers from several militaries, notably Resistance General Hugh Ashdown.

After the devastating attack on the Skynet VLA that resulted in the death of his entire team, John Connor requested to be taken to Resistance Headquarters, but was denied the request for access upon arrival. He then forced himself in by diving from his helicopter and was rescued by the crew.

USS Wilmington's position was later triangulated by Skynet after General Ashdown fell for Skynet's trap. The Wilmington was then tracked down by a HK-Aerial which proceeded to blow Wilmington out of the water with a plasma-anti-submarine torpedo. Wilmington was lost with all hands. Terminator Salvation

USS Wilmington (CL-79) - History

(Gunboat No. 8: dp. 1,571 1. 251'10" b. 40'2", dr. 9'
(mean) cpl. 212 a. 8 4", 4 3-pdrs. cl. Wilmington)

Wilmington (Gunboat No. 8) was laid down on 8 October 1894 at Newport News, VA., by the Newport News Shipbuilding Co., launched on 19 October 1895 sponsored by Mrs. Anne B. Gray, and commissioned on 13 May 1897, Comdr. Chapman C. Todd in command.

The new gunboat conducted sea trials and underwent training off the east coast and joined the North Atlantic Squadron at Key West. Wilmington trained and underwent exercises in gunnery and testes in late 1897 and early 1898 as tension between the United States and Spain was rising steadily closer to open hostilities.

On 21 April 1898, two months after the sinking of battleship Maine in Havana harbor, Cuba, the United States declared war on Spain. Meanwhile, the Navy had moved its warships into position to attack Spanish possessions in the Far East and in the Caribbean. On 15 July 1898, Wilmington arrived off Cape Cruz, near Manzanillo, Cuba, and joined Wompatuck on station with the blockading forces.

The following day, Wilmington overhauled two small charcoal-burning fishing boats off the harbor mouth and questioned their Cuban crews. From the brief interrogation, the Americans learned that a submarine cable connected Santa Cruz and Juearo. The gunboat then proceeded to the spot mentioned by the fishermen and lowered a grappling hook. Finding the cable, Wilmington cut it and made for Cuarto Reales to join Helena (Gunboat No. 9), Wompatuck, and Hist.

On 17 July, Wilmington led the three other ships to El Guayabal, 20 miles north of Manzanillo, Cuba. Upon their arrival at Guayabal, the warships found Scorpion Hornet, and Osceola. During the afternoon hours, the four commanding officers met in conference and formulated preliminary plans for an expedition to Manzanillo to destroy the Spanish shipping there.

Accordingly, at 0300 on 18 July, the American ships set out from Guayabal and set course for Manzanillo. At 0645, the group split up according to plan: Wilmington and Helena made for the north channel Nist Hornet, and Wompatuck for the south, Scorpion an Osceola for the central harbor entrance. Fifteen minutes later, the two largest ships entered the harbor with black smoke billowing from their tall funnels and gunners ready at their weapons.

Taking particular care not to damage the city beyond the waterfront, the American gunners directed their gunfire solely at the Spanish ships and took a heavy toll of the steamers congregated there. Spanish supply steamer Purissima Concepcion caught fire alongside a dock and sank at her moorings, gunboat Maria Ponton blew up when her magazines exploded gunboats Estrella and Delgado Perrado also burned and sank while two transports, Gloria and Jose Garcia, went down as well. Two small gunboats, Guantanamo and Guardian were driven ashore and shot to pieces.

Beyond the effective range of Spanish shore batteries, the Americans emerged unscathed, leaving columns of smoke to mark the pyres of the enemy's supply and patrol vessels. The twenty-minute engagement ended with the attackers withdrawing to sea to resume routine patrol duties with the North Atlantic Squadron for the duration of hostilities.

Late in the summer, the gunboat headed home and was drydocked at Boston from 24 September to 3 October. Following repairs, the ship departed the Massachusetts coast on 20 October, bound, via Charleston S.C., for Norfolk. Arriving at Hampton Roads on 31 October, the ship put into the Norfolk Navy Yard on the following day for further repairs, overhaul, and preparation for foreign service.

With the reestablishment of the South Atlantic Squadron, Wilmington got underway on Christmas Eve and set her course for Puerto Rico. She arrived at San Juan on 30 December 1898 but resumed her voyage south on 2 January 1899 and proceeded via Port Castries, St. Lucia, to Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, where she made port on the 16th.

Six days later, the gunboat left Trinidad behind and pointed her straight stem toward Venezuela. On the 23d, the ship arrived off Barima Point and stood up the Santa Catalina River, which led to the main branch of the Orinoco. After a brief stop at the town of Las Tablas, Wilmington put into Ciudad Bolivar on the

24th where the mayor, the American consul, and a number of city officials came on board the ship for a visit. Diplomatic affairs occupied the officers, with the commanding officer visiting the provincial governor and collector of customs. The ship was "full-dressed" with flags and appropriate ceremonial trappings on 28 January when she welcomed the citizens of the city on board. Two days later, the gunboat departed Ciudad Bolivar to return to Port-of-Spain.

She was based at Trinidad through February and into March. During this time. she visited Guanta in northern Venezuela Georgetown, British Guiana and proceeded up the Surinam River to Paramaibo, Dutch Guiana.

Departing Paramaibo on 6 March, she commenced the initial leg of her cruise up the Amazon River. Navigable for nearly 2,300 miles of its 3,200-mile length during the rainy season, the Amazon and its verdant banks presented the ship's company with interesting and unusual flora and fauna as she proceeded upriver. Calling at Para and Manaos, Brazil, en route, the ship arrived at the Peruvian border at Leticia, Peru, on 11 April. Heaving-to, the gunboat dropped anchor off Leticia to secure permission from Peruvian authorities to proceed further up the Amazon. With permission granted, Wilmington again got underway and arrived at Iquitos on 13 April. While numerous official calls were exchanged during the visit, the gunboat also acquired a small menagerie: three monkeys and one tiger eat which were presented to the ship by the Peruvians.

On 18 April, the gunboat departed Iauitos, headed back down stream, and reached Rio de Janeiro on 28 May, completing a 4,600-mile round-trip voyage on the Amazon. On 6 June, Wilmington entered the Brazilian government drydock at Rio de Janeiro for routine bottom cleaning and remained there until 4 July when she got underway and cruised south along the coast visiting Brazilian and Uruguayan ports. She arrived at Montevideo on 16 July and spent one month operating out of that port.

On 17 August, the ship departed Montevideo. However, at 1750 the following day, the port propeller shaft failed, resulting in a change of course back to Montevideo. After remaining in the Uruguayan Port for the days following her arrival on 22 August, she departed on 3 September, steaming by her starboard engine only, for Buenos Aires.

Arriving on 4 September, Wilmington broke the Argentine flag at the main and her saluting guns barked out a 21-gun salute to the Argentine nation as the gunboat entered port. After the usual boarding calls and shore visits by the American officers to the American charge d'affairs and consul, the gunboat entered the drydock at Buenos Aires on 8 September.

Unshipping the port propeller shaft and landing the propeller and a section of the shaft on 16 September, the ship left the drydock the following day with the assistance of two tugs and proceeded to basin number 4 at the Brazilian navy yard.

Wilmington remained incapacitated at the basin until 18 January 1900, when she was moved to Ensenada, Argentina. Eleven days later, cruiser Chicago passed a towline to the gunboat, and the two ships set out for Montevideo. On 9 February, steamship Corunda arrived with new shafts from the New York Navy Yard. Subsequently, the gunboat returned to Buenos Aires, under tow from gunboat Montgomery, and entered drydock on 3 March 1900, nearly six months after having first been crippled by the damaged propeller shaft.

Once the repairs were finally corrected after dockyard overhaul and a trial period, Wilmington continued cruising on the South American station through the summer and early fall of 1900. While the ship was en route to Rio de Janeiro on 10 May 1900, her inelinometer recorded 45-degree rolls in each direction while traversing heavy, choppy seas. On 16 October 1900, the ship departed Pernambueo, Brazil, bound for the Far East.

Arriving at Gibraltar on 3 November, the ship pushed on across the Mediterranean and transited the Suez Canal early in December, arriving at Port Said on the 4th. On 21 January 1901, the gunboat made port at Manila, in the Philippines, to commence her Asiatic service.

Departing from Cavite on 10 May, the ship headed for the China coast and called at Hong Kong on the 13th. Still nominally attached to the South Atlantic Fleet, Wilmington served in Chinese waters through

1904 on routine cruises showing the stars and stripes along the China coast at ports such as Swatow, Amoy, Fooehow, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. On 30 June 1904, the ship was decommissioned at Cavite.

On 2 April 1906, the ship was recommissioned there, with Comdr. William L. Rodgers in command. For the next two years, the ship served off the China coast carrying out her routine cruising and "showing the flag." On 17 December 1908, the gunboat commenced her river service, on the Yangtze as far as Hankow, with the Yangtze River Patrol. Ordinary activities included the usual calls and port visits to such places as Hong Kong, Canton, and Swatow. She conducted target practice after constructing her own target rafts and laying out a firing area. On one occasion, Chinese fishermen decided that the raft presented a good perch from which to fish. Repeated attempts by the gunboaters to shoo away the fishermen only ended in frustration. Finally, as the ship steamed slowly toward the area, she fired a few blank rounds purposely "over," and the squatters promptly abandoned their erstwhile fishing vantage point.

After repairs while stationed at Hong Kong from 30 June 1912 to 30 June 1914, the ship resumed her routine cruises, attached to the Far Eastern Squadron, Asiatic Fleet, and continued such duty for the next five years.

On 7 April 1917, while at Shanghai, Wilmington received a cable informing the ship that Germany and the United States were at war. Events in the Atlantic had resulted in the severing of relations and the commencement of hostilities. In the Far East, the neutral Chinese greeted the news by issuing terms of internment to all belligerent shipping on 5 May. While Palos ( River Gunboat No. 1), Monocacy ( River Gunboat No. 2), Quiros ( Gunboat No. 40 ), Samar ( Gunboat No. 41 ) and Villalobos (Gunboat No. 42) were directed to stay and be interned, Wilmington got underway on the 6th, within the stated 48-hour limit, and made for the Philippines.

Arriving at Manila on 11 May, the gunboat moored alongside Brooklyn (Cruiser No. 3). Proceeding first to Cavite and then to Olongapo, the ship commenced patrol duties in the Philippine Islands, off Corregidor Island's north channel. Operating from Mariveles Bay the gunboat cruised on patrol duty in the Manila Bay area through the fall of 1917, with occasional overhauls at Cavite. She helped to protect the Philippines for the duration of hostilities, intercepting and escorting various vessels entering Philippine waters while carrying out regular drills and exercises. She remained in the archipelago into February 1919, when she again steamed to Shanghai, China.

The gunboat remained at Shanghai as station ship from 11 February to 24 June, when she got underway for Hankow. Five days later, the ship dropped anchor off the American consulate at that port. On 11 July, after weeks of official calls and routine business, Wilmington was fouled by a raft of logs, and two Chinese raftsmen fell overboard into the muddy river. The gunboat rescued the two men while other members of the crew proceeded to cut away the log raft.

The ship continued routine patrol and "flag-showing" duties through 1919 and 1920 and into 1921. On 8 July 1921, the starboard propeller shaft parted, and the propeller was carried away. Proceeding on one engine the ship finally arrived at Shanghai on 22 July an] entered drydock. Wilmington operated on the Yangtze
through December, when she headed south for duty along the China coast until heading to the Philippines where she operated into the late spring of 1922.

On 2 June of that year, the ship departed Olongapo and set her course for the east coast of the United States. En route, she called at Singapore, Colombo, Ceylon, Bombay and Karachi, India Aden, Arabia Port Said, Egypt Gilbraltar and Ponta Delgada, in the Azores. On 20 September 1922, the ship dropped anchor off the Portsmouth (N.H.) Navy Yard.

The ship remained there in an unassigned state until July 1923, when she was ordered to join the 3d Regiment, United States Naval Reserve Force, 9th Naval District, for the states of Ohio and Kentucky. After repairs and overhaul, Wilmington departed Portsmouth on 19 July, bound for Toledo, Ohio.

The ship anchored off Quebec, Canada, on the 26th and proceeded on toward Montreal on the following day, arriving on 27 July. After passing through the Soulanges and Cornwall Canals, the gunboat proceeded up the St. Lawrence River to Kingston, Canada, before setting course for the Welland Canal. After coaling at Fort Colburn, Wilmington entered Lake Erie stopped briefly at Cleveland, and arrived off Toledo on 1 August 1923.

Wilmington served as a training ship on Lake Erie&mdash operating out of Toledo and calling at Cleveland and Buffalo&mdashwell into 1923. On 2 September of that year, the ship became inactive as her men were released from their training period. She remained in this state until 1 June 1924, when a large draft of reservists reported on board for training.

During that month, she operated in company with Paducah (Gunboat No. 18), Dubuque (PG-17), and the unclassified vessel Wilmette. On 10 June, the commanding officer, 7 officers, and 55 men left the ship at Cleveland to participate in a parade in conjunction with the Republician Party's national convention. The following day, Secretary of the Navy Curtis D. Wilbur came on board to inspect the ship.

Wilmington remained as training vessel on the Great Lakes for reservists through the 1930's occasionally calling at Chicago, as well as her normal ports of call &mdashToledo, Buffalo, and Cleveland. During the winter months, she was laid up at her home base in preparation for spring and summer cruising.

On 27 January 1941, the gunboat was designated IX-30 and renamed Dover. Based at Toledo, Ohio, the ship cruised on Lake Erie between Toledo and Cleveland until the autumn of 1942, when she headed down the St. Lawrence River toward the Atlantic. She arrived at Quebec on 24 November and began voyage repairs and received a 5-inch gun which was installed forward. Dover departed Quebec on 17 December and reached the Gulf of Canso the next day.

The ship operated in the vicinity of Canso and Gaspe Bay from 18 December and put into Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day, 1942, Dover escorted Convoy HF-42 out of the harbor, bound for Boston, and arrived with her charges at the Massachusetts port on 27 December.

Following this duty, she put into New York, where she remained until 27 January 1943, at which date she turned her bow south and headed for the warmer climes of the gulf coast. Arriving at Miami on 1 February she soon departed and made port at Gulfport, Miss., three days later.

Subsequently operating under orders of the Commandant, 8th Naval District, at New Orleans, La., Dover served as an armed guard training ship, performing this duty through the remainder of the war.

Decommissioned on 20 December 1945 she was struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1916 and sold for scrap on 30 December 1946.

カボット (空母)

カボットはニュージャージー州カムデンのニューヨーク造船所で軽巡洋艦ウィルミントン(USS Wilmington, CL-79)として起工する。1942年6月2日にCV-28に艦種変更され、6月23日にカボットへ艦名変更する。カボットの艦名はもともと、同時期にベスレヘム・スチールで建造されていたエセックス級航空母艦の一艦に付けられていたが、その艦は珊瑚海海戦で沈没したレキシントン(CV-2)(USS Lexington, CV-2)を記念して、レキシントン(CV-16)(USS Lexington, CV-16)と改名された。1943年4月4日にA・C・リード夫人によって命名、進水し、1943年7月15日に CVL-28 へ再変更、1943年7月24日にマルコム・フランシス・シューフェル艦長の指揮下就役した。カボットはロードアイランド州 クォンセット・ポイント (英語版) を1943年11月8日に出港、真珠湾に向かい12月2日に到着する。

1944年 編集

カボットは短期の修理で真珠湾へ戻ったが、その後マジュロを出撃し、3月末からパラオ、ヤップ島、ウルシー環礁、ウォレアイ環礁への攻撃を行う。ホーランディア攻撃の間4月22日から25日まで航空支援を行い、4日後にトラックへの再攻撃および、サタワン環礁とポナペに攻撃を行った。6月6日、マリアナ諸島攻略の前に再びマジュロを出撃し、19日、20日には「マリアナの七面鳥撃ち」(The Marianas Turkey Shoot)と揶揄されたマリアナ沖海戦に参加した。カボットの第31航空団は硫黄島、パガン島、ロタ島、グアム、ヤップおよびウルシーの日本軍基地への攻撃を8月9日まで継続した。

1944年9月のパラオ進攻前の攻撃で、カボットは第38任務部隊(マーク・ミッチャー中将)とともにミンダナオ島、ヴィサヤ諸島およびルソンへの攻撃を行う。10月6日に第29航空団は第31航空団と交代し、カボットはウルシー環礁から沖縄攻撃のため出港。10月10日に沖縄を空襲し、10月12日、13日には台湾を攻撃している。カボットは10月13日と14日に台湾沖で雷撃を受け大破した重巡洋艦キャンベラ(USS Canberra, CA-70)および軽巡洋艦ヒューストン(USS Houston, CL-81)の「第一不能部隊」(Cripple Division 1)に加わった。第3艦隊司令長官ウィリアム・ハルゼー大将は、傍受した日本側のラジオから大勝利を連呼する放送が流れているのを聞き、日本側が「アメリカ艦隊全滅」と信じきっていると感じた。そこで、日本に対して罠を仕掛けることとしたのである。結果的には日本側はハルゼー大将の罠にはかからなかったが、いずれにせよ落ちゆくキャンベラとヒューストンの安全を確保した。その後ヴィサヤ諸島への攻撃を継続。10月23日から26日のレイテ沖海戦では第38.2任務群( ジェラルド・F・ボーガン (英語版) 少将)に属して参加した [2] 。

カボットは引き続き陸上への攻撃を誘導し、絶望的な特攻攻撃をかわしながらルソンへの偵察・支援任務を継続した。しかし11月25日、カボットは特攻機の命中を受ける。この日、マバラカットを11時30分に出撃した神風特攻隊吉野隊をはじめ、フィリピン各地から4隊の特攻隊が出撃した [3] 。4隊は第38.2任務群に殺到し、一機の特攻機がカボットに激突 [4] 、左舷の20ミリ機銃台座を破壊し、40ミリ機関砲が使用不能となった。多数の破片が四散し、カボットの乗組員62名が死傷した。しかしながら乗組員によるダメージコントロールは速やかに行われた。上空で警戒していたカボットの艦載機は、ハンコック(USS Hancock, CV-19)に突入する4機の特攻機のうち2機を撃墜した [5] 。カボットは任務に支障がないことを確認し、応急修理の後作戦行動を継続したが、11月28日に本格的な修理のためウルシーに帰投する。

1945年 編集

前年から続く集中・継続的な作戦の後、カボットはオーバーホールのため6月にサンフランシスコに向かった。オーバーホールを終えて真珠湾での再訓練の後、カボットは第32航空団を乗艦させエニウェトク環礁に向かう途中、8月1日に戦艦ペンシルベニア(USS Pennsylvania, BB-38)とともにウェーク島への攻撃を行った [6] 。その後エニウェトクで終戦まで訓練任務に従事した。

戦後 編集


1989年8月、スペイン海軍から除籍されたカボットはアメリカに戻り、翌年6月29日にアメリカ合衆国国定歴史建造物に指定された [7] 。船体を博物館へ転換するため民間団体が無償で譲り受けたものの、この運動は成功せず、ニューオーリンズのドックに係留されたまま年月が経過した。民間団体が負債を支払えなくなったため、船体は競売にかけられることとなり、連邦保安官により1999年9月10日にテキサス州のブラウンズビルにあるサベ・マリーン・サルヴェージ社(Sabe Marine Salvage)へと引き渡された。2000年11月よりブラウンズビルで船体の解体作業が開始され、翌年2001年8月7日には国定歴史建造物の指定も取り消された [8] 。

Event Details

Time: 8 PM – 2 AM ET

Location: Battleship North Carolina, 1 Battleship Rd NE, Wilmington, NC 28401

Guests are strongly advised to bring extra warm clothing with them for colder nights.

Ample parking is available on the site of the museum.


Your event at the USS North Carolina includes:

  • Entire night investigation with the Haunted Rooms America team,
  • Tickets to the daytime tour of the ship (between 10 am – 4 pm),
  • Exclusive access to all the most haunted areas,
  • VIP Access to the torpedo hit area (normally off limits!),
  • A psychic medium available (*private readings at the discretion of the medium),
  • Use of the latest and greatest paranormal equipment,
  • Free time to conduct your own investigations,
  • Snacks and refreshments (only the very best brand products)

What to Bring?

Please bring with you a form of photo ID, and a printed off booking confirmation email (or show this on your phone).

We will be providing you with paranormal equipment to use, however, we will need something of value per group to hold onto as collateral (phone, car keys, watch, etc.)

We will be providing snacks and drinks at intervals throughout the night.

And of course, bring your phone/camera with you, the more pictures we have the better chance we have of capturing something!

Other than that, just yourself and an open mind!

USS Cabot (CVL 28)

Decommissioned 11 February 1947.
Recommissioned 27 October 1948.
Decommissioned 21 January 1955.
Transferred to Spain and renamed Dedalo (R-01) and commissioned into the Spanish Navy on 30 August 1967. Decommissioned by the Spanish Navy on 5 August 1989. Scrapped at Brownsville, Texas, USA.

Commands listed for USS Cabot (CVL 28)

Please note that we're still working on this section.

1T/R.Adm. Malcolm Francis Schoeffel, USN24 Jul 19435 May 1944
2T/Capt. Stanley John Michael, USN5 May 19446 Feb 1945
3T/Capt. Walton Wiley Smith, USN6 Feb 194518 Dec 1945

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Notable events involving Cabot include:

12 Feb 1944
Task Force 58 departed Majuro Atoll for operation HAILSTONE, a raid against the Japanese base at Truk Atoll.

Task Force 58 was made up of the following ships

Task Group 58.1 Aircraft carriers USS Enterprise (Capt. M.B. Gardner, USN), USS Yorktown (Capt. R.E. Jennings, USN), light carrier USS Belleau Wood (Capt. A.M. Pride, USN), light cruisers Santa Fé (Capt. J. Wright, USN), Mobile (Capt. C.J. Wheeler, USN), Biloxi (Capt. D.M. McGurl, USN), USS Oakland (Capt. W.K. Phillips, USN) and the destroyers USS Clarence K. Bronson (Lt.Cdr. J.C. McGoughran, USN), USS Cotten (Cdr. F.T. Sloat, USN), USS Dortch (Cdr. R.C. Young, USN), USS Gatling (Cdr. A.F. Richardson, USN), USS Healy (Cdr. J.C. Atkeson, USN), USS Cogswell (Cdr. H.T. Deutermann, USN), USS Caperton (Cdr. W.J. Miller, USN), USS Ingersoll (Cdr. A.C. Veasey, USN), USS Knapp (Cdr. F. Virden, USN).

Task Group 58.2 Aircraft carriers USS Essex (Capt. R.A. Ofstie, USN), USS Intrepid (Capt. T.L. Sprague, USN), light carrier USS Cabot (Capt. M.F. Schoeffel, USN), heavy cruisers USS Wichita (Capt J.J. Mahoney, USN), USS Baltimore (Capt. W.C. Calhoun, USN), light cruisers USS San Francisco (Capt. H.E. Overesch, USN), USS San Diego (Capt. L.J. Hudson, USN), destroyers USS Owen (Cdr. R.W. Wood, USN), USS Miller (Cdr. T.H. Kobey, USN), USS The Sullivans (Cdr. K.M. Gentry, USN), USS Stephen Potter (Cdr. C.H. Crichton, USN), USS Hickox (Cdr. W.M. Sweetser, USN), USS Hunt (Cdr. H.A. Knoertzer, USN), USS Lewis Hancock (Cdr. C.H. Lyman, 3rd, USN), USS Stembel (Cdr. W.L. Tagg, USN) and USS Stack (Lt.Cdr. R.E. Wheeler, USN).

Task Group 58.3 Aircraft carrier USS Bunker Hill (Capt. T.P. Jeter, USN), light carriers USS Monterey (Capt. L.T. Hundt, USN), USS Cowpens (Capt. R.P. McConnell, USN), battleships USS North Carolina (Capt. F.P. Thomas, USN), USS Massachusetts (Capt. T.D. Ruddock, Jr., USN), USS South Dakota (Capt. A.E. Smith, USN), USS Alabama (Capt. F.D. Kirtland, USN), USS Iowa (Capt. J.L. McCrea, USN), USS New Jersey (Capt. C.F. Holden, USN), heavy cruisers USS Minneapolis (Capt. R.W. Bates, USN), USS New Orleans (Capt. S.R. Shumaker, USN), destroyers USS Izard (Cdr. E.K. van Swearingen, USN), USS Charrette (Cdr. E.S. Karpe, USN), USS Conner (Cdr. W.E. Kaitner, USN), USS Bell (Cdr. L.C. Petross, USN), USS Burns (Cdr. D.T. Eller, USN), USS Bradford (Cdr. R.L. Morris, USN), USS Brown (Cdr. T.H. Copeman, USN), USS Cowell (Cdr. C.W. Parker, USN), USS Wilson (Lt.Cdr. C.K. Duncan, USN), USS Sterett (Lt.Cdr. F.J.L. Blouin, USN) and USS Lang (Cdr. H. Payson, Jr., USN).

25 Nov 1944
2 kamikazes attacked vessel off the Philippine coast. 36 men killed, many wounded. Vessel remained in fighting condition. ( 1 )

Media links

Watch the video: شفا فاجأة جدها بأكبر كيكة غزل البنات!!Cotton candy Cake